Maths Counts 2019 is over
What a brilliant day of maths teaching and learning Maths Counts 2019 proved to be. Over 200 people attended to celebrate the work of the hundreds of Irish maths teachers who participated in this years PDST’s Lesson-Study programme. Some highlights of the event included:
- an excellent keynote address by Prof. Jeremy Hodgen focusing on his recently published research which evaluates the impact of various teaching approaches and factors on student attainment in mathematics.
- a total of 8 workshops delivered by Irish maths teachers who participated in Lesson Study 2017-2018
- teaching and learning workshops covering the five strands of the Leaving Certificate syllabus delivered by the PDST post-primary Maths team
- teaching and learning workshops by our colleagues from the PDST primary STEM team on teaching and learning of mathematics in fifth and sixth class.
- poster Display comprising the work of Lesson-Study research groups
- closing address by JCT Team Leader for Maths – Shane Flanagan
- exhibits by a variety of Irish Education companies
Thank you to everyone who attended. We will post all resources presented at the conference on this page in the coming days.
Prof Jeremy Hodgen did not fail to disssapoint with his insightful and thought provoking address highlighting among other things our student’s misconception that Maths is a series of rules that needs to be guessed (the story of Mr Short and Mr Tall) and the importance of using manipulatives. read more about Prof Jeremy Hodgen…
Conference Resources/Lesson Study Library
We have all of the resources and files from the workshops and Lesson Study proposals in one convenient location. Read more…